The Benefits from TOGAF® for Different Types of Stakeholders:
In this series of blogs, we’re going to examine the benefits of The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) for an organization.
In doing this, we need to consider the various stakeholders that have a stake in architectural changes. The value and benefits for each stakeholder will vary. The most relevant benefits will also vary depending on the nature of the changes, the role and concerns of the stakeholder, and their relationship to other stakeholders.
The IT Organization:
The IT organization is responsible for developing, maintaining, and operating the IT components within the enterprise architecture. Typically, this includes services, applications, data, infrastructure technologies, security… etc.
Direct Benefits of Enterprise Architecture:
- Better understanding and management of the IT landscape
- A holistic / systemic view of all IT components and their business, organizational, and environmental contexts
- Improved ability to deliver common, standard, or reusable components across the IT landscape
- Criteria, qualities, or characteristics of more agile and effective IT components
- A discipline that complements others, such as agile, ITIL, COBIT, etc., and unites these disciplines in a broad, holistic, and systemic way
- Reduced IT complexity
Direct Benefits of TOGAF:
- Good understanding of how to integrate architecture development with (IT) strategic planning, business strategies, solution design, IT development, implementation, and program/ project management through use of the ADM
- Good understanding of how to integrate architecture governance with IT governance (government framework in TOGAF)
- The two reference models provide a reasonable contextual basis for structuring and populating an enterprise-specific model
- It offers numerous checklists which support IT governance in general, and architecture governance in particular.Techniques and artifacts that can be adapted to meet IT and architecture needs
Indirect Benefits Enabled by Applying EA or TOGAF:
- Reduced IT operating costs
- More efficient IT operation
- Increased portability of applications
- Improved interoperability